Universities create and then disseminate new knowledge. The resources posted here can help you with your efforts. NOTE: This link is accessible only to members and associates of the CUArch faculty and staff.
Creative Work Coming From CUArch
Our school's portfolio of innovations, publications, and awards in research, practice, and teaching
- Recent Recognition
- Recent Works
- In-Progress Research
- In-Progress Writing
- In-Progress Practice and Outreach
Awards: Regular Faculty
- Julie Kim (as c2 architecture studio + HOK), InfoCUBE: Light Monitors, received an "Award of Merit" in AIA|DC's 2013 WashingtonUNBUILT design program.
- Luis Boza and Matthew Geiss (as Reform llc) project 111 K Street selected for the 2013 Annual Exhibit of the AIA Center for Emerging Professionals at the AIA National Headquarters through April 30, 2013
- Julian Palacio named a MacDowell Fellow for winter/spring 2013, continuing his research on form and materiality in the work of Eladio Dieste, for which he was awarded the 2012 Deborah J. Norden travel fellowship by the Architectural League of New York.
- Lavinia Fici Pasquina and John Nahra, Residence, Runner Up, "Elevate Your Design" competition. July 2012
- Recognized by 21st Annual Inform Awards, Virginia Society, AIA. April 2012
- Interior Architecture Recognition of Excellence: Ann Cederna with Frederick Cederna Architects, id Software, Richardson, Texas
- Object Design Recognition of Excellence:
- CUA Graduate Concentration in Design Technologies, BENCH|WALL
- Luis Boza and Matt Geiss with Reform LLC, Feature Wall, 111 K Street.
- Ann Cederna, 1170RS Ducati
- Lavinia Fici Pasquina, awarded CUA Provost’s “Award for Achievement in the Creative Arts”. 2011-2012
- Miriam Gusevich and Jay Kabriel, Sibbesborg: Heart and Soul. 2011 Design Competition for Sibbesborg, Finland. Honorable Mention.
- Chris Grech, CUA Advancement of Teaching Award, 2011
- Randall Ott, Salt Chapel. Honor Award, WashingtonUNBUILT, AIA|DC, 2011
- Ted Naos, awarded First Place, 2010 Louie Awards, Greeting Card Association. 5/16/11
- CUAdc (Bill Jelen and students), A Hermitage for the 21st Century. Award, WashingtonUNBUILT, AIA|DC, 2010;
Awards: Faculty Associates
- Michael Abrams, Folded Architecture, First Place in "One Site, Infinite Solutions" Design Competition, sponsored by AIA Southern Indiana
- Travis Price named "Best Modern Architect", Home & Design Magazine's Choice Awards, MD, VA, DC 2013
- Mark McInturff, 2013
- AIA Washington DC Merit Award in Architecture; Somerset Pool House
- AIA Washington DC Merit Award in Architecture; Rappahannock Bend Summer House
- Builder’s Choice & Custom Home Grand Award; Somerset Pool Bath House
- Remodeling Design Merit Award; House on Poplar Avenue
- AIA Maryland Citation; The Long House
- AIA Washington DC/Washingtonian Residential Award; Gresser Johnson House
- AIA Washington DC/Washingtonian Residential Award; Chesapeake Bay House\
- AIA Chesapeake Bay Honor Award; Lueders Larson Pool & Guest House
- AIA Chesapeake Bay Merit Award; Lerner Pink House & Studio
- Metal Construction Association Chairman's Award; House on Poplar Avenue
- Mark Lawrence and Elizabeth Emerson with E/L Studio
- Lincoln Street Residence, Washingtonian Award
- 63rd Avenue Residence, Washingtonian Award
- University of Queensland, 2012 Award of Merit in Interior Architecture, AIA|DC, and 2013 Annual Exhibition, Center for Emerging Professionals
- Recognized by 21st Annual Inform Awards, Virginia Society, AIA. April 2012
- Travis Price with the CUA Graduate Concentration in Sacred Space/Cultural Studies, Spirit of Place/Spirit of Design, Inc., and Travis Price Architects, recognized by 21st Annual Inform Awards, Landscape Architecture, Virginia Society, AIA. April 2012
- Honor Award: Memorial to the Magar Ancestors, Nepal. 2011
- Recognition of Excellence: The James Hoban Memorial, Desart, County Kilkenny, Ireland, 2008, and Kalevalakehto: The Shaman’s Haven of the Kalevala, Helsinki, Finland, 2010
- Mark McInturff, 2012
- North American Wood Design Honor Award; Town of Somerset Pool House
- AIA Maryland Citation; Chesapeake Bay House
- AIA Maryland Honor Award; Town of Somerset Pool House
- AIA Chesapeake Bay; Chesapeake Bay House
- AIA Potomac Valley Honor Award; Town of Somerset Pool House
- Patrick Manning, M.ArchS/C, MSSD '13, Honorable Mention, 2013 Healthcare Environment Awards, Student category, for FOUND (thesis), sponsored by Contract Design magazine in association with The Center for Health Design. Also published in Healthcare Facilities Today, December 2013
- Andrew Baldwin, thesis project, Lacrosse as Sacred Iroquois Tradition: The Architecture of Cultural Representation, "Award of Excellence" AIA|DC's 2013 WashingtonUNBUILT design program.
- Philip Goolkasian, 401 project, South Capitol Natatorium, "Award of Merit", AIA|DC's 2013 WashingtonUNBUILT design program.
- Chris Brown, thesis project Jefferson’s Intent: Actualizing a Form of Human Knowledge, selected for 2013 Annual Exhibit of the AIA Center for Emerging Professionals at the AIA National Headquarters through April 30, 2013
- Andrew Speer, working with Judith Meany and John Nahra in combined real estate development and digital media graduate studio, Re-energizing a Tired Suites Hotel, awarded Cafritz Prize. $3,000 first place. $500 honorable mention awarded to four other students.
- Joseph Barrick, undergraduate senior working with Miriam Gusevich, Honorable Mention for Community Programming in the Water_Works competition sponsored by Gowanus by Design, looking at how to redeem a toxic Superfund site while strengthening a growing urban node
- Student team, Spirit of Place, received a 2012 award from Faith & Forum Magazine and the Interfaith Forum on Religion, Art, and Architecture (IFRAA) for Memorial to the Magar Ancestors, Nepal.
- Chris Brown, graduate student, received first Honorable Mention in the international Innovative Minds architectural design competition sponsored by Gurroo.com for Catastrophic Intent: Actualizing A Form of Human Knowledge, his thesis project.
- Christine Chlebda, 4th year student in B.S. Arch program, received the "Grand Award" in AIA|DC's 2012 WashingtonUNBUILT design program for Winery on Montaldo, a 401 studio project, instructors Matt Jarvis and David Jameson. The blind competition considered 133 projects submitted by both practitioners and students.
- Ryan Erb, graduate student, received a "Merit Award" in AIA|DC's WashingtonUNBUILT design program for Momentum of Public Space, his thesis project.
- Project by Matt Klein and Tim Laubacker, CUArch students, with Nick Colomeco, CUAEng student, selected in CUA student design competition for a “solar powered Mini Bus Station.”
- Jessica Key Willard (graduate student), Narrative and Architecture, 2010-11 ARCC Jonathan King Medal
- Real Estate Development Concentration received WDG Architecture 75th Anniversary gift ($35,000 to be given yearly)
Reviews: Regular Faculty
- Eric Jenkins, Drawn to Design: Handwerkszeug Zeichenbuch I reviewed (in German) in Bauwelt 11.13
- Lavinia Fici Pasquina and John Nahra's Silva House, in "Glass Castle", Modern Luxury DC Magazine, July 2013
- Patricia Andrasik's LEED Lab, in "Learning to LEED", College Planning & Management, May 2013
- Patricia Andrasik's LEED Lab, in "Students Gain Professional-Level Experience in CUA's LEED Lab", CUA Public Affairs, April 2013
- David Dewane's Librii project in "A New Kind of Library", Metropolis Magazine, March 2013
- Julio Bermudez. Sacred Space/Cultural Studies studio (co-taught with Greg Upwall and Juhani Pallasmaa) reviewed in Capilla Funeraria Aconfesional, in Revista Márgenes Arquitectura Año 2, No5 (Camposanto), España, pp.58-63 (2012)
- Julio Bermudez. Sacred Space/Cultural Studies class. Reviewed in Freeman, Patricia Coll, "Sacred Space: Creating Sublime Experiences Through Architecture", CUA Magazine. Spring 2012.
- Lavinia Fici Pasquina. ReHouse. In Lassell, Michael, Editors of Metropolitan Home, Donna Warner, Linda O'Keeffe,Glamour: Making It Modern, 2009. Also featured on the Elle Decorwebsite.
- Julio Bermudez, in Rasmuson, John, "Utah’s Sacred Space", City Weekly, Salt Lake City, 10/20/2010, p.6
Reviews: Faculty Associates
- Travis Price, Modern Living, DC Modern Luxury Magazine, October 2013.
- Travis Price, Bruneel House, reviewed by Annie Groer, Home & Design Magazine, Sept/Oct 2013
- Travis Price, reviewed by John Hill, An Irish Island Gets a Most Meaningful Installation, Houzz. August 22, 2013.
- Mark Lawrence and Elizabeth Emerson's practice (as E/L Studio), including a video, in Hello Again: E/L Studio, The Washington Post website, July 8, 2013.
- Rauzia Ally and Te2 Symposium. Reviewed in&Gupta, Anil, "I am the Flute, Music is Thine", DNA (Daily News & Analysis), 4/22/12
- Bill Jelen and CUAdc, The Hermitage, Reviewed in DePillis, Lydia, "Wanna Get Away?" in Architect, the online magazine of the AIA, 4/19/2012
- Travis Price. In McManus, Laura, "Spirit of Place: Recasting Nepal's Architecture", Asian Geographic, August 2011
- Milton Shinberg's project (as Shinberg-Levinas Architects) Kol Shalom Synagogue, Rockville, MD
Books and Book Chapters
- Michael Abrams. The Art of City Sketching - A Field Manual. Routledge, 2014.
- Eric Jenkins. Drawn to Design: Analyzing Architecture Through Freehand Drawing. Birkhaeuser/ACTAR. 2012.. With funding from the Graham Foundation.
- Judith Meany (and John Protopappas), editor, Washington on Foot, 5th edition, Smithsonian Books, 2012. Judy also co-authored, with Bill Bonstra, Tour #14 of the Thomas Circle and 14th Street environs.
- Adnan Morshed, Oculus: A Decade of Insight into Bangladeshi Affairs, The University Press, Ltd., 2012. Reviewed by The Daily Star.
- Barry Yatt (with Joseph McCade, Phd), "Defining Creativity and Design", Chapter 2 in Creativity and Design in Technology and Engineering Education, The Council on Technology and Engineering Teacher Education, August 2012
- Milton Shinberg (with Kerri Myers), "Physical Environments for Creativity and Design", Chapter 8 in Creativity and Design in Technology and Engineering Education, The Council on Technology and Engineering Teacher Education, August 2012
- Travis Price, The Mythic Modern. Oro Editions. 2011
- Eric Jenkins, To Scale: One Hundred Urban Plans. Routledge. 2008
Articles, Papers, Presentations, and Exhibits
- Adnan Morshed, Kahn, Bangladesh and the Politics of Reception, at Dhaka Day, RWTH Faculty of Architecture, Aachen, Germany. July 2014
- Students of 2013 Cultural Studies/Sacred Space Studio (Professors Julio Bermudez, Randall Ott, and 2013 Walton Critic Visiting Scholar Claudio Silvestrin), Professing Architecture: Connecting Architecture, Culture, and Spirituality, Exhibited with opening lecture at AIA|DC's District Architecture Center.
- Julie Ju-Youn Kim, Unwrapping The Hanbok + Villa Of Veils: Rendering The Body Present, Lecture and Exhibit, on view February 3 - May 15, 2014. Kibel Gallery, University of Maryland College Park. A show of original work in a solo invited exhibition. Accepted for presentation by the Athens Institute for Education and Research for their 3rd Annual International Conference on Architecture in Athens, Greece
- Kim, Hyojin and J. Haberl. 2014. Development and Application of Weather-Normalized Monthly Building Water Use Model in Energy and Buildings, a premier journal published by Elsevier. 69:267-277.
- Patricia Andrasik with H. Azzouz, Saving the Black Gold: Implementing Building Performance Analytics to Optimize the Energy Performance of a Residential Apartment Building in Jeddah, accepted for International Sustainable Built Environment Conference, Doha, Qatar, January 2014
- Patricia Andrasik, Building Performance Analytics, Facade Tectonics Conference, University of Southern California, January 2014
- Alexander Bahr (M.Arch 2013), An Architect's Vision of Food, October 29, 2013, and Tiny Homes: MIcro or Wacko?, November 15, 2013, both on architecture/dc Blog,
- Kim, Hyojin with J. Mukhopadhyay, J.C. Baltazar, J. Haberl, and B. Yazdani. Analysis of Code-Compliant Construction in Texas Based on the Texas Building Energy Performance Standards (TBEPS), in Proceedings of the 13th International Conference for Enhanced Building Operations (ICEBO 2013), Montreal, Quebec, Canada (October 2013).
- Kim, Hyojin with Haberl, J., B. Yazdani, J.C. Baltazar, J. Mukhopadhyay, G. Zilbershtein, S. Ellis, P. Parker. Calculation of Integrated NOx Emissions Reductions From Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EE/RE) Programs Across State Agencies in Texas, in Proceedings of the 13th International Conference for Enhanced Building Operations (ICEBO 2013), Montreal, Quebec, Canada (October 2013).
- Julie Kim, Down the Rabbit Hole and Out Again: Reflections on Building Technology in the Design Studio, 2013 BTES conference, July 12-13, Roger Williams University, Bristol, RI
- Eric Jenkins conducted workshops based on his book "Drawn to Design" for The Smithsonian Associates Program, Washington, DC, July 2013 and at Marywood University, School of Architecture, Scranton, PA, April 2013.
- Patricia Andrasik (with Megan Chappell-Brown, Christopher O’Brien, Jaime van Mourik, moderator), Panelist for CREW (Commercial Real Estate Women) at May Roundtable Program: The Road to a Green Campus - Three Approaches to Transforming DC’s Universities. Washington DC, May 21, 2013.
- Adnan Morshed, College of Architecture and Planning Lecture Series, University of Utah, March 20, 2013
- Eric Jenkins, "River Park: Rise and Decline of a Cooperative", presented to The Latrobe Chapter Society of Archtectural Historians' Tenth Biennial Symposium on the Historic Development of Metropolitan Washington, DC, March 2013
- Julio Bermudez and Brandon Ro, Memory, social interaction, and communicability in extraordinary experiences of Architecture, in C.Jarrett, K.Kim & N.Senske (eds): Proceedings of the 2013 Architectural Research Centers Consortium: “The Visibility of Research”, University of North Carolina, Charlotte, NC. March 27-30
- Julio Bermudez and Brandon Ro, The Effect of Gender, Age, and Education in Extraordinary Aesthetic Experiences, in EDRA 44 Proceedings, Providence, RI. May 29-June 1
- Patricia Andrasik, LEED Lab: Sustainable Campus Building Assessment, to be presented at the annual conference of APPA – Leadership in Educational Facilities, August 2-4, 2013 in Minneapolis, MN
- Patricia Andrasik, LEED Laboratory: Training Students in the Sustainable Transformation of the Existing, to be presented at the Smart and Sustainable Campuses Conference, April 15-16, 2013 in Bethesda, MD
- Julio Bermudez. Philosophy in Architecture. Course taught at the Universidad de San Juan Facultad de Arquitectura, San Juan, Argentina. November 2012
- Carlos Reimers, The Incremental Housing Context: Early Incremental Projects - Site and Services, in the Network Session The Search for Multi-Story, High Density Incremental Housing. World Urban Forum 6, United Nations, Naples, Italy
- Carlos Reimers, Research and Design in Architecture: A Trip to the Present, presented at the 6th International Conference on Design Principles and Practice 2012, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- Carlos Reimers, Habitat and Housing: The Future, introductory lecture at the Roundtable on Housing and Infrastructure in the 2012 Plan Pais Conference, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
- Julio Bermudez, Simplicity, Science, Spirituality, Situation. Four ways for architecture to address the future, Keynote Lecture at the First Conference of ADU 2020: Restructuring Higher Education for the 21st century in the Expanded Field of Architecture, Design and Urbanism, Facultad de Arquitectura y Urbanismo, Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru, Lima, Peru. Dec 10-13
- Julio Bermudez, School-wide Lecture: "Lo Cotidiano y lo Sagrado. Reflexiones desde el Arte y la Arquitectura" at the Universidad Nacional de San Juan —Facultad de Arquitectura, Urbanismo y Diseño. San Juan, Argentina. Nov 21
- Julio Bermudez and Brandon Ro, Extraordinary Architectural Experiences: Comparative Study of Three Paradigmatic Cases of Sacred Space (The Pantheon, The Chartres Cathedral and the Chapel of Ronchamp), in J.P.Thibaud & D Siret (ed): Proceedings of the 2nd International Congress on Ambiances. Montreal, Canada. Sept 19-22, 2012
- Julio Bermudez, research project presentation, fMRI Study of Architecturally-Induced Contemplative States, Academy of Neuroscience for Architecture (ANFA) 2012 Annual Conference, La Jolla, CA. Sept 20-22, 2012
- Julio Bermudez, Usus in Praesens — Drawing as a Meditation Practice for Being Present through Architecture, in J.Bermudez & R.Hermanson (eds.): Collected Abstracts of the Fourth Architecture, Culture & Spirituality Symposium (Electronic Publication), Chichen Itza, Mexico, April 1-5, 2012.
- Iris Miller, Two Rivers and the City: Reclaiming a Vision. Delivered at "Visualizing the Nations Capital: Two Centuries of Mapping Washington, DC.the 2012 Philip Lee Phillips Society Annual Conference, May 18--19, 2012.
- Adnan Morshed. Three Capitals: New Delhi, Chandigarh, and Dhaka. A study tour of India and Bangladesh by the Society of Architectural Historians. 12/27/11-1/8/12
- Miriam Gusevich. Landscape archeology as an Urban Design Strategy: The McMillan Sand Filtration Plant, Washington, DC. Accepted for presentation at the 2nd International Landscape Archeology Conference 2012” in Berlin.
- Brad Guy. Efficacy of Shipping Container Upcycling: Comparison of Environmental Impacts Between Two Housing Systems. Accepted for presentation at the 2012 ACSA conference in Philadelphia.
- Carlos Reimers, The Less-Explored Roles of Architects in Low-Income Settlements of Texas, in refereed Proceedings of the ACSA Fall 2011 Conference. Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture, pp. 292-300
- Carlos Reimers, Lo Academico en la Arquitectura (Scholarship in Architecture), panel presentation on 'Architecture in Academia', Conference USB-40, Simon Bolivar University, Caracas, Venezuela
- Adnan Morshed. Exhibit Review of "Designing Tomorrow", Published in JSAH (Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians), Dec 2011.
- Adnan Morshed. Monthly Column, Published in "BDNews24", Bangladesh's online newspaper.
- Adnan Morshed. Ascending with Nine Chains to the Moon: Buckminster Fuller's Ideation of the Genius, Published in "New Geographies 4", the Journal of the Harvard Graduate School of Design
- Julio Bermudez, Empirical Aesthetics: The Body and Emotion in Extraordinary Architectural Experiences”, in Philip Plowright & Bryce Gamper (eds.), Proceedings of the 2011 Architectural Research Centers Consortium: “Considering Research”, Lawrence Tech University, Detroit, MI, pp. 369-380
- Julio Bermudez, Profound Experiences of Architecture. The Role of ‘Distancing’ in the Ineffable, in 2A – Architecture and Art Magazine, Dubai, UAE, Spring Quarter, No.17, pp. 20-25
- Julio Bermudez, Outcomes of the Architectural Extraordinary: An Empirical Study, in J.Bermudez & P.Tabb (eds.): Collected Abstracts of the Third Architecture, Culture & Spirituality Symposium (Electronic Publication), Serenbe, Georgia. June 29 - July 1, 2011
- Julio Bermudez, The Empirical Profile of Beauty. Validating Classical Aesthetics through Two Massive Surveys of Extraordinary Architectural Experiences, lecture at the Central American Philosophical Association – X-Phi Session, Minneapolis, MN. March 30 - April 2, 2011
- Miriam Gusevich. Urban Pentimento: Redeeming the Urban Landscape, Presented at EURA Conference, June 2011, Copenhagen
- Architecture, Ecology, Economy, Miriam Gusevich. Presented at 2011 Economy Conference, Wales School of Architecture Cardiff University
- Elizabeth Emerson and Mark Lawrence. Presented at 2011 ACSA Convention.
- Julio Bermudez, Architecture Live: Using Science to Unravel Venustas’s Phenomenology, in Newsletter of the Architectural Research Centers Consortium (ARCC), Fall issue, 2-6
- Lavinia Fici Pasquina, Using Architecture and Technology to Promote Improved Quality of Life for Military Service Members with Traumatic Brain Injury. With Paul F Pasquina, Victoria C Anderson-Barnes, Jeffrey S. Giuggio, Rory A. Cooper. Published in "Physical Medicine And Rehabilitation Clinics Of North America". 2010. Volume 21, Issue 1, Pages 207-220
Exhibits Curated; Conferences and Symposia Organized
- Brad Guy, Materials Health: The Architect’s Evolving Role, CUA 3/24/2014. This half-day session, sponsored by CUA and USGBC, will explore the architect’s evolving role in materials selection
- Carlos Reimers, Contemporary Spanish Architecture, Spring 2014 Lecture Series featuring Antonio Garcia-Abril, Carme Pinos, and Francisco Mangado, co-sponsored and funded by the CUA School of Architecture & Planning, the Department of Culture of the Embassy of Spain, and the National Building Museum, Washington, D.C.
- Brad Guy, Reclaim+Remake Symposium. 4/11-13/2013. Recognized as recipient of the 2013 ARCC Incentive Fund Award.
- Julio Bermudez, Luis Boza, Alberto Campo Baeza and ten CUArch Students. Box of Miracles, Contemplating a 21st Century Convent at the Henry Luce III Center for the Arts and Religion (Dadian Gallery), The Wesley Theological Seminar, Washington DC (January 23-March 1, 2013
- Julio Bermudez and Robert Hermanson, co-chairs, 4th ACS (Architectural, Culture and Spirituality) Symposium. Chichen Itza, Mexico, April 1-5, 2012
- Julio Bermudez, Symposium Chair, Transcending Architecture. Aesthetics and Ethics of the Numinous. School of Architecture and Planning, The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC. October 6-8, 2011
- Julio Bermudez and Phillip Tab, co-chairs, 3rd ACS (Architectural, Culture and Spirituality) Symposium. Serenbe, Georgia. June 29-July 1, 2011
- Bill Jelen, director (with Team Capitol DC). Harvest, Entry in 2013 Solar Decathlon Competition, with $100,000 grant from US Dept of Energy. For more. see CUA Press Release, NBC News, and Media Day video.
- Barry Yatt with Pam Clark, PI, et. al, Frontier: Fractionated Cluster Architecture, under a grant from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
Built and Implemented Projects
- Ryan McKibbin, SnapSet furniture including SnapChair, SnapBench, and SnapTable, licensed by OpenDesk and available through their website.
- Barry Yatt, Renovations to library and memorial alcove, Agudas Achim Congregation, Alexandria, VA
- William Jelen and CUAdc (Catholic University of America Design Collaborative) Multiple Projects. including the Library at Stuart Hobson Middle School.
- Lavinia Fici Pasquina, Re-House.
Outreach, Reports, and Other Works
- Patricia Andrasik, LEED Lab sets the course for campus EB:O+M certification, USGBC online articles, June 4, 2013
- Eric Jenkins, Good Intentions Can’t Disguise Limits of ‘Green’>, The Washington Post, Letter to the Editor, June 21, 2012
- Hyojin Kim,Case Studies to Test ASHRAE Performance Measurement Protocols. With funding from a CUA Grant-in-Aid. Research will apply and test the ASHRAE/CIBSE/USGBC Performance Measurement Protocols (PMP) under actual building operation in two case-study buildings in D.C. area.
- Adnan Morshed, with Mark Jarzombek (MIT), Vikramaditya Prakash (University of Washington), Gail Fenske (Roger Williams University), Robert Cowherd (Wentworth Institute of Technology), and Suzanne Marchand (Louisiana State University) is creating a Global Architectural History Teaching Collaborative, with a $1,000,000 grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Brad Guy, PWC Eco-Park Program to assist development of environmental research and education center at Prince William County Sanitary Landfill. Awarded $39,612 grant for calendar year 2014 by Prince William County, VA
- Brad Guy, Salvage in Detroit: Opportunities for Optimization through Action Research. Funded by the Kresge Foundation via NextEnergy.
- Jeff Roberson, The Plastic Number of Dom Hans van der Laan. Funded by Deborah J. Norden Travel Grant
- Charles Hostovsky, The Role of Public Involvement in Environmental Planning in India: Towards Culturally Appropriate Participatory Planning. With funding from a CUA Grant-in-Aid.
- Julio Bermudez, fMRI Study of Architecturally Induced Contemplative States— Phase II. With $5,100 funding from a CUA Grant-in-Aid
- Julian Palacio, Material Tour de Force: The Work of Eladio Dieste, with a $3,660 travel grant from the Deborah J. Norden Fund of the Architectural League of New York.
- Cameron Weimar, Urban Commercial Organics Recycling Facility Siting Study - Part 1
- Adnan Morshed, The Enlightenment, Nature, and Modernity, with funding from NEH.
- Barry Yatt. DetaiLogic. Software to advise and automate the process of construction detailing and materials selection.
- Julio Bermudez with Tom Barrie (North Carolina State University) and Phillip Tabb (Texas A&M), co-editors, Architecture. Culture and Spirituality: Contemporary Perspectives on the Nature of the Sacred in the Built Environment, Ashgate Press. Expected mid 2015.
- Julio Bermudez, editor, Transcending Architecture: Contemporary Views on Sacred Space, The CUA Press, Washington DC. Expected Fall 2014
- Hollee Becker, Pattern Typology: Spatial, Contextual, Conceptual and Structural Pattern Integration. Book. It is a way of identifying, diagramming, prioritizing and integrating information in order to incorporate structural design early in the process and create a holistic solution.
- Hollee Becker. Structural Competency for Architects. Routledge. Expected mid 2014.
- Brad Guy, Design For Adaptability and Deconstruction. Book for John Wiley & Sons. Expected 2014.
- Julie Kim, Suspending Disbelief: Detroit (re)viewed through the Lens of Architecture, arguing that Detroit presents a fertile laboratory for intervention, speculation, and reflection. Rather than focusing on its political corruption, social problems, and racial tensions, the book explores Detroit's potential through architecture and the acts of making and building.
- Eric Jenkins (with Brian Kelly, University of Maryland), editing an anthology of Tom Schumacher's writings
- Eric Jenkins, Co-authoring with Ruben Morgado a JAE "Design as Research" article on African architecture
- Eric Jenkins, producing web-based/eBook videos to supplement his book Drawn to Design: Analyzing Architecture through Freehand Drawing
- Carlos Reimers, Minimum Standards in Incremental Low Income Housing in Developing Countries
- Carlos Reimers, Social Participation in Planning: Communities and Housing in Venezuela, during the last 20 Years.
- Carlos Reimers, Changing Demographics in American Architecture Education: Hispanic Minorities in US Architecture Schools.
- Carlos Reimers, Progressive Development Strategies in Low income housing in the 21st Century, to be published by Habitat International
- Julio Bermudez and Brandon Ro, Fenomenologías Extraordinarias de la Arquitectura Sagrada — Los Casos de Chartres, Ronchamp, y el Panteón, Arquitectura del Sur No.42, Universidad del Bio Bio, Concepcion, Chile
- Miriam Gusevich, Urban Pentimento.
- Julius Levine, Reweaving a Neighborhood Fabric: Perpetuating Diversity in Shepherd Park
- Barry Yatt. Predesign: Gaining Insight. A textbook on predesign analysis.
- Barry Yatt. Application: Accommodating Reality. A textbook on construction detailing and materials selection intended to accompany Yatt's DetaiLogic software.
- Barry Yatt. Sparking Insight: Conceiving and Developing Effective Responses to Complex Problems. A design primer for non-designers (and others).
In-Progress Practice and Outreach
- Lavinia Fici Pasquina, Cross House
- Julie Kim, Virgil H Carr Cultural Arts Center, Detroit, MI
- Iris Miller, Urban Institute Studies
- Iris Miller, RiverRoad NorthTrail Park, Bethesda, MD. Developed from 2007 CUA Urban Design Studio. Approved unanimously by the Montgomery County Planning Board, June 2012
- Cameron Weimar, Cambridge, MD, Gateway Corridor Plan
Interdisciplinary and Other Design: Interior, Landscape, Graphic, Product, etc
- David Dewane, Librii: New Model Library in Africa.
- Iris Miller, Landscape Enhancement, National Cherry Blossom Festival, for the Japan-America Society, the Embassy of Japan, and the National Park Service.
Contact InformationBarry Yatt, FAIA, CSI Associate Dean for Research
School of Architecture and Planning
Crough Center for Architectural Studies
620 Michigan Ave NE
Washington, DC 20064 USA
firstname.lastname@example.org D 202-319-6038 • T 202 319-5188 • F 202 319-5728